The history of North Penn Lodge #1979 formally began on February 19, 1955, when our lodge was proposed in a letter to G.E.R. William Jernick from DDGER B. Harrison McCoy of Reading. At this point in time the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks contained 1.7 million members in 1,700 lodges.
A meeting was held on March 5th at the Lansdale Moose to begin proceedings in the formation of North Penn. Later in the month, Norristown Lodge #714 agreed to sponsor the new Lodge.
In the beginning of April, five members were signed to applications and a suggestion was made to place an article in area newspapers on "Why should I become a member of the Elks?"
On April 16, an organizing committee was formed with William Hill as Chairman, Robert Kern as Secretary and Paul Hensen as Treasurer. At this time we were first referred to as North Penn Lodge. The end of May saw the required number of members to institute a lodge reached, and an application for a Charter was filed with the Grand Lodge, and on June 6, dispensation was granted by G.E.R. Jernick for the formation of North Penn Lodge #1979 and was instituted on June 27, 1955 of that year.
For the next few years the Lodge met in various places, but on the 24th of September, 1959, the Lodge purchased from the Estate of William McCann, a one story building sitting on a little over one acre of land. This building, an old schoolhouse built in 1935, became the home of North Penn.
In 1975, The Ballroom was added under Ray Heiler, Exalted Ruler and paid for through Bonds, Donations and Nights at the Races. The frame was raised and the interior was finished off by the officers and members. The entire floor was tiled by Jim Vincenti and Bill Freus. At the same time the kitchen was built and the Ladies Auxiliary bought and paid for all the stainless steel equipment.
In 1977, the trees were planted on the boundary line by Harry Sweet.